Skip to main content

9/20: Choose Kindness

Choose Kindness

It's A Commandment!

We begin the series on kindness today. 

Our Gospel reading is from Matthew 22: 34-46

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”


8am Service 

Gathering Hymn: Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

In 1907, when Henry Van Dyke began to draft the text of this well-known hymn, he attributed "any merit it contains...to Beethoven’s soaring and uplifting melody." He was of course referring to Beethoven's ninth symphony: the composer's final complete orchestral masterpiece. In addition to giving a nod to Beethoven, Van Dyke claimed the initial inspiration for Joyful stemmed from a visit as guest preacher to Williams College in Massachusetts, where he was struck by the beauty of the Berkshire Mountains. 

While a large body of Beethoven's work remains today in both classical music and pop-culture, this hymn is arguably the most easily-recognizable representation of Beethoven in the sacred repertoire. It is amusing to consider what the genius Beethoven would think of this, considering the ninth symphony was composed as a secular piece of music, while Beethoven's sacred masterpiece Missa Solemnis is less widely-known and is performed infrequently due to the significant complexities of the composition. 


Hymn of the Day: Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart

The hymn tune MORECAMBE is an excellent choice for the text of Goerge Croly's Spirit of God, as it provides many opportunities for word painting. Word painting is a compositional approach where the meaning of the text is directly reflected by the supporting musical elements. Examples of this technique can be found in classical works such as Handel's Messiah (the scattering of vocal lines with the text: and we like sheep have gone astray) as well as in modern popular selections such as Billie Eilish's Ilomilo (the music is modified when hurry I'm worried is sung, using an audio effect that evokes a jittery/nervous vibe.)

In the case of our hymn, the word "descend" is appropriately paired with a descending melody, and "strength to me impart" rises melodically, as one who is being strengthened. Can you spot any other word painting?

Sending Hymn: Lord Dismiss Us With Your Blessing

Carry today's message of kindness with you!

10:30am Service 

Gathering Song: Gather Us In

May our gathering song allow us to become open to receive the message of the day. 

Song of the Day: Step By Step

We never walk alone when we follow Christ's teaching. Each day provides me with numerous opportunities to interact with the people of the world, and leading with love brings me closer to myself, God, and my neighbor.

"I will seek you in the morning and I will learn to walk in Your ways." When I consider what it means to seek God, I begin by zooming out, and remembering all of the things I take for granted that sustain my life on this planet. The sun that shines in the (sometimes cloudy) sky...the Earth and the amazing beauty of nature...the access I have to clean water and air. It is in the seat of gratitude that I find peace and the ability to extend kindness and love to those around me.

Sending Song: Forever

I always love singing this with you--may it be a celebration of our shared love for God and one another today.

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Notes From Lindsay Center for worship with these upcoming musical selections: February 15   8:00 am Service Opening Hymn:  Love Divine, All Loves Excelling Yes, love is back again for a second week! A fitting selection for the renewal of marriage vows this past Sunday, and a celebration of love in the company of our friends for "Bring A Friend Sunday" this coming Sunday. I hope you find the choral arrangement in the link above as beautiful as I did! 10:30 am Service Prelude:  Holy Spirit Just because it's a prelude  doesn't mean you can't sing along! We will welcome all of our friends for "Bring A Friend Sunday" with this gorgeous musical invocation of the Holy Spirit. I became familiar with this song while working with a church that had to sell their building. This was performed at the first service in their new rented location, and reminds me of the importance of gratitude through adversity. February 18   12pm & 7pm Ash Wednesday Services P...

10/4: Choose Kindness

Choose Kindness: OUR WORDS MATTER Today's reading is James 3: 1-12 8am Service Gathering Hymn:  Let All Things Now Living A joyful hymn to begin our worship, set to the hymn tune ASH GROVE! Our scripture reading today will allow us to pause and reflect on our words and the impact they have on ourselves and those around us. Let our voices resound as we sing together the words of the second verse: "We too should be voicing our love and rejoicing." Hymn of the Day : Lord Speak to Us That We May Speak Thank you to Frances R. Havergal for penning this text for us back in 1872 (pictured on the left)! You may recall we learned about Fanny Crosby  back in March. When I realized that the two women composers were contemporaries, I immediately popped their names into a Google search and learned that Frances (who lived in England) never met Fanny (who lived in America)... but Frances wrote a poem to Fanny, whose work she admired, as indicated by the verses of the poem. While both wom...

February 25th 🎶

    Musical Notes From Lindsay Center for worship with these upcoming musical selections: March 1st 8am service: Early Praise Choir Offering The Early Praise Choir will be singing as part of the 8am service this week! Get a preview of their selection, Love the Lord.  10:30am service: Prelude from the Praise Team Band... You Have Anointed Me This recommendation from our guitarist Marty will be featured as the prelude to our service. I happily happened upon this home-made recording (linked above), and I found it to be even more beautiful than some of the professional recordings available. March 8th 10:30am Service: New! Sending Song: Days of Elijah (Lyric Video here) Taken straight from Pastor Stuart's Spotify playlist , this selection promises the return of Christ, despite our current troubles. Backed with a full band, and complete with glorious harmonies from the choir, this recording is by far my favorite , and I can't listen to it without smiling.