Today's music draws on the themes of our Exodus scripture, which is Exodus 12:1-14.
Gathering Hymn: Holy God, We Praise Your Name
🎶 "Prophets swell the glad refrain...bend the knee while we own the mystery." 🎶
God's proclamation to Moses that all firstborn people and animals would be struck down, unless they observed the specified rituals of the Lord's Passover, marked a significant event in both Judaism and Christianity: The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt...This is a day you are to commemorate; for the generations to come you shall celebrate it as a festival to the Lord—a lasting ordinance.
It is difficult to imagine the unquestioning devotion of the Israelites, currently enslaved and enduring daily suffering at the hands of Pharaoh, following the instructions from Moses with the firm belief that this would ultimately lead to their deliverance. It is this same devotion that is evoked in the singing of our praise to God in our gathering hymn.
