Gathering Hymn: I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say
Set to the familiar English folk tune Kingsfold, the text of ELW 611 contains several passages that illustrate the reading from Exodus, which depicts God's provision of water to the the Israelites water through Moses' striking of the rock:
Lay down, O weary one...behold, I freely give the living water...my thirst was quenched, my soul revived
Song of the Day: My Life Flows on In Endless Song <-- This links to my favorite choral arrangement of this hymn
The text from Robert Lowry continues the thematic references to water by professing the unending calm experienced via the peace of Christ...a fountain ever springing. Despite the tumult and the strife the question is repeated: How can I keep from singing? I know the feeling.
Sending Song: By Grace We Have Been Saved
Just as the Israelites experienced the saving grace of God, both through their escape from Pharaoh and from their thirst in the desert, so do we receive the same unending love and provision through our faith. Although the Israelites go so far as to say to Moses: "Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?” God still provides for them.
