The songs today are inspired by our Gospel reading, John 7: 37-39, where Jesus says: “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”
Gathering Song: ELW 423 Shall We Gather At the River
The text of this Robert Lowry hymn speaks perfectly to the message of finding living water in Christ. The march-like rhythm creates a feeling of steadiness and forward motion, as the lyrics describe the provision of grace received at the river that flows by the throne of God. The march-like quality of Lowry's hymns is considered iconic of his composing style. We will play this song as prelude to help familiarize the congregation with the tune.
Gospel Acclamation: WOV 612 Halle, Halle, Hallelujah
If you prefer, feel free to locate a copy of With One Voice and follow along there! Make sure to keep it handy for the communion songs...
Song of the Day: Waterlife
This song was part of my first service at St. Paul's, and I immediately found myself drawn in by it's rhythmic urgency. I also enjoy how the melody in the verses mimics the downward flow of water. The water imagery in the text makes it a fitting selection for our song of the day.
Choral Anthem: Canon for Pentecost
The Kingdom Choir's final anthem of the season! I have so enjoyed getting to know all of the singers, and I am already excitedly imagining what the future holds after summer. Looking forward to summer pick-up choir!
Communion Music:
Our first communion song can also be found in With One Voice:
WOV 693 Baptized in Water (our recent baptism service also included this hymn)
Sending Song: Go In Peace
I have heard this is another favorite at St. Paul's--I look forward to sending the confirmation class into the world with the words of this selection:
Go in peace and serve the Lord
Let your life shine out in the world
Christ is calling you to follow Him
Make your lives a living sacrifice
.png)